Anne Maddox Boutique

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Sharing of our Passion


The beginning of our project
adding new flooring to the existing.

I thought I would try something different and share a hobby of ours.  My husband and I share a passion for redecorating and remodeling.  For years friends have tried to convince me to sell my home decorating abilities, but fear of my eclectic taste have preventing me from doing so.  Also, the fact that I have no décor training have put that to a halt.   Some say my talent (or lack of) is due to having a custom home builder father and interior design mother.  Although I do have to say our style does vary.  Growing up in the south has given me appreciation for that southern charm in craftsmanship that you don’t find everywhere.

I wouldn’t call myself a “tree hugger or hippie”, but I would fall somewhat into these categories for some people.  I LOVE to reuse unique furniture pieces and décor.  What would I call my décor style?  Antique/vintage with a twist of modern (if that is even a thing – see I told you NO training!) 

Yes, it's me!!  I did help cut pieces of flooring.
I know some of you hear antique and cringe, but you may call my style more of a vintage.  Not only do I like reusing furniture for our environment and to save some cash, but they don’t make things like they use to.  I am not afraid to repaint something I have spent little or no money on.  Older pieces are made of solid “real” wood and have curves, bevels, claw feet, and best of all…are less likely to go out of style next week.  I can’t wait to show you the tables I repainted in a future blog.

Our friends say we are always up to some project… it is almost an obsession.  This project started with some new couches and office furniture, then moved to carpet and took us back to all hardwood flooring on our first floor.  Although my husband would tell you “pay someone to do this” he really does enjoy this type of work.  I do have to say it looks a lot easier to lay hardwood floors on HGTV!  It is not for someone who does not like hard, manual labor. 

My husband is a hard worker, very visual and “follows the rules”.  My design has no rules, which can also cause problems when trying to describe what I want and all he says is “I want see a picture, Laura”.  I do have to say that sometimes his “stalling” does help me visual something even better!  He says I stress him out at times, but my mind is always racing about how I want everything to go together.  He would also secretly admit that he is addicting to manual labor.  There is no greater joy that seeing the “before” turn into the “after”.
Before
After

We aren’t finished with this particular project yet, but the pictures shown are of one of our previous projects of remodeling our oldest daughter’s room.  I wanted to give her a design that was timeless and she wouldn’t outgrow.  I will be sharing part of the remodeling process, how to repurpose old furniture, helpful color hints, etc. 

You may have a different style, but hopefully this blog with share ideas or tips to help you with your next project.  Please share any projects that you have done yourself or ask questions.  My goal is to post 1-2 times a week on Tuesday and Thursday, but sometimes life as a mom may postpone a blog.  I hope that you will stay tuned and share your own success stories.


Please keep my online store, Anne Maddox Boutique in mind for Valentine's Day Gifts.  Also, check out my new Valentine's Baby Outfit.



No comments:

Post a Comment